I have had the honour of being the first chair of Toronto's committee to handle the climate crisis, TransformTO. What started as a small subcommittee turned into one of the most ambitious emissions reduction strategies in North America, designed to protect our city’s future from the effects of climate change.
What We’ve Done
- laid the foundation for the city’s climate work, through building a coalition on City Council to pass TransformTO, working with council members of all political stripes to take meaningful action on the climate crisis.
- TransformTO aims to get community-wide greenhouse gas emissions in Toronto to net zero by 2040—10 years earlier than initially proposed.
Our Work Ahead
- Secure dedicated and sustained climate funding.
- Purchase the TTC buses needed now to fulfill our climate action plan
- Demonstrate carbon accountability by establishing a carbon budget for City operations and the community as a whole.
- Accelerate a rapid and significant reduction in natural gas use.
- Establish performance targets for existing buildings across Toronto.
- Increase access to low-carbon transportation options, including walking, biking, public transit and electric vehicles.
- Increase local renewable energy to contribute to a resilient, carbon-free grid.